Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre in mid-December

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there,

I have been spoilt with a couple of fantastic trips recently to Tignes and Avoriaz.

We are considering going to montgenevre in mid-December 24. I had not considered the place previously.

Anyone been there in the early season? Is it a reliable option and do they try and get most of the terrain open as much as possible?

The deal looks good for a family of 6 but I'm just nervous about and want someone on the internet to give me a guarantee of superb early season conditions!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

want someone on the internet to give me a guarantee of superb early season conditions!

Laughing Welcome to Snowheads, @SNOW PUPPET. You're getting into the swing of it already.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SNOW PUPPET,
That early in the season, go back to Tignes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was in Tignes 3 times last year.... twice skiing and once mtbing. It is really awesome in my opinion. However, the bank balance has taken an absolute beat down due to these and other similar habits and there are four kids in the family... the trip to Montgenevre is coming in at around 30-40% of the price of a Tignes trip. The plan would be that the money saved on the cheaper family trip would then allow be to have a second trip on my own back to Tignes / Val D'isere...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SNOW PUPPET,
That early in the season (I'm assuming by mid December you mean before Christmas) the only way you can guarantee skiing is to go to one of the ski areas that has plenty of skiing above 2500m - that is probably the main reason for the differences in prices. You may get lucky & Montgenevre will be fully open; you may get unlucky & Montgenevre having little or no skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kenzie, OTH there is Austria for a reasonable priced mid December ski vacation..
The old discussion of go high (France) or go to Austria?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
drporat wrote:
@Kenzie, OTH there is Austria for a reasonable priced mid December ski vacation..
The old discussion of go high (France) or go to Austria?

Are you claiming that a mid December trip to an Austrian resort guarantees skiing?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The dolomites might be a decent bet that early with their artificial snow. But the real answer is wait until December and then decide nowhere will be full, and anywhere including Tignes can be poor.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Montgenevre opening dates.

Dec 2 2023
Dec 3 2022
Nov 20 2021
Nov 23 2019
Dec 1 2018
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kenzie, obviously no one can guarantee [decent] skiing mid December anywhere in the world but we all know that it is available in more than a few places.
(And we all witnessed bad weeks even in February this year.
For instance in the last PiPAU in Tignes we suffered from heavy rains 2 consecutive days, nothing is warranted)
We are discussing potential good conditions which will allow the OP a decent ski hol with his family.
And I firmly believe that beside the expensive French resorts we all know and love/hate, there are Austrian options as well, at decent prices.
I am following reports by swskier, JimboS and other SHs in Zillertal, Ischgl and other resorts in Tyrol.
Austria is a legit destination even that early.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Montgenevre is coming in at around 30-40% of the price of a Tignes trip

That big a difference is surprising. Obviously the lift passes in Tignes will be more expensive (though I don't know the numbers) but I doubt whether Montgenevre in mid-December offers accommodation any cheaper than Tignes in mid December. If you are looking at tour operator prices then a DIY trip could be worth considering.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Montgenevre is regularly open from early December but I’m not sure they will open the whole ski area before Christmas week. It might just be the north facing side. That is why it will be cheaper that week and probably a cheaper lift pass. Furthermore you would also need to check when Claviere opens which may not be until Christmas week. If you want a decent mileage that early in the season in France you will probably need to go to the big tarentaise resorts. Alpe D’huez might be a possible in terms of altitude and size but I haven’t been there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Origen, the higher end self catering places in Montgenevre eg CGH residences are generally quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent in Tignes le lac and the lift pass is definitely cheaper. There are cheaper high end residences in Tignes 1800 but not all of them were open in the pre Christmas week this year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For mid December in Tignes, Val Claret has the cheaper apartments (with basic minimal kitchens and bulk beds of course) that are almost ski in ski out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

That is why it will be cheaper that week and probably a cheaper lift pass

Ah! V pertinent info....
latest report
Monty can be fab that time of year. Tignes can easily have week with no sunshine at all. Monty got their best snowmaking on the main axis of their southern side. Downside is their overall snowmaking is sub-par. If possible, I'd wait and see.
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice. In my job I have to plan trips well in advance, it’s very hard for me to do things last minute. My friend is there at the moment with his family and they are getting on great. I’ve gone ahead and booked montgenevre for week of 14 December. The deal was too good. Flights, transfers and self catering accommodation at CGH property with pool at foot of slopes for a family of 6 is 2050 euro, based on this years prices a family ski pass should be around 950 euro for the week. All in it’s less than 50% of what we paid to go to tignes last December… hopefully we don’t live to regret it !!
ski holidays
Time to manage expectations in case of limited pistes. How old are the children and how much have they skied before? If younger or less experienced, it might be a trip to concentrate on them and build their skills, rather than expecting a perfect holiday for the parents. Ski backwards races, one leg races etc
latest report
I will report back with the result of the slushman making contest on December 15th
ski holidays
@SNOW PUPPET, sounds like an excellent deal,which company?
ski holidays
Kids have skied 3 times. Yes, it was surprisingly cheap which is why I’m willing to roll the dice. We booked with Heidi. Flying from Ireland to Turin, staying at CGH le Napoleon.
snow conditions
Crazy price, I was choosing between Montgenèvre and Tignes for Christmas week this year for a family of 5 and Tignes worked out a lot more, even rental prices are 30-40% higher. Ended up going with Tignes in any case as we’ve never been with the potential of an end of season trip to Montgenèvre (although with Easter so late that might not be a possibility).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy