Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing goggle lens surround on old goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
The foam on my Smith IOs (the old style non magnetic lens switch system) has separated, the lens seem fine, it seems a shame to have to ditch them.

Does anyone know if you can buy the frame separately at all? I've emailed Smith tech support but thought I'd check on here!

cheers,

Greg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-03-24 15:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guessing the actual frame is ok? If so I would go to a haberdashery and pick up some foam (as close a match as you can) and lining cloth, strip the old stuff off, template up the new stuff and glue it all together! Probably cost £30 max all in.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have used double sided tape (carpet tape from Screwfix) to repair delaminated goggle foam in the past - but I suspect that it's manufactured using a spray contact adhesive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not many easily available adhesives will stick to the type of plastic used in goggles, and even some that do don't behave well with low temperature and flexing. I am currently trying Gorilla clear double sided mounting tape. Test after a couple of days in the freezer seems good, will test in the real world at the EOSB.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bit of PVA on both sides and close it up. Just put it so the surfaces are in contact and not compressing the foam too much while the glue goes off - should hold ok. I fixed a helmet liner in a similar way.
If not then you've not lost anything. Just take the lenses out before you do any glueing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
“Google lens” in the title led me to wonder what this thread was going to be about. Not as interesting as I hoped, TBH Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, I would avoid using super glue as apparently this damages foam, apparently it's not uncommon for glues to do this to foam. There are special foam glues / cures for this, some specifically made by Smith. Goggle foam repair guides usually recommend a specific one.

Funnily you're the 3rd person in the last month here (me included) with a very similar issue with this exact set of goggles....

Smith have ignored me about replacing my frame for weeks now!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ruswit, ours did the same, albeit after 11 years of fairly heavy use...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ruswit, interesting cheers, I think with the sales starting I'm going to end up buying new which I was trying to avoid!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had mine for maybe 10 years so it's hardly obscene to happen.

http://youtube.com/v/3uaMPB-y5BY&t=263s - this guys' video shows the glue that can work for sticking them back on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TL;DR use a glue that works with foam.
The one in the video isn't available in Sweden so I've tried with Stormsure, which is very sticky black glue normally used to fix wellies, leaking inflatables etc.
First two pics show the damage (2nd and 3rd layers of foam separating).

Next two are the repair.

Not perfect, but definitely stuck back down again. The glue isn't fully dry yet, I'll try tomorrow to see how comfortable (or not) they are.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mgrolf, I guess the key question is does the glue set hard and uncomfortable vs soft like the original foam.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, absolutely. The answer is, of course, somewhere in between! I can definitely feel the glue with my fingers, but it's not obvious when I wear the goggles. I don't think it would work so well where's there's more pressure, e.g. around my nose. My season's finished now, so it will be a while before I can test them properly, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

If the foam had split away from the frame, I'm sure I wouldn't notice the glue. I can't be sure that it would stick, but Stormsure sticks to most flexible plastics.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mgrolf, thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used shoe glue on goggles that were much worse, just use as little as possible as you don't get a second chance one you place it on the goggles. Unfortunately I have about 5 different lenses for my googles and mine has a fan which I absolutely love. They don't make goggles with fans anymore.
BTW, I called Smith about the foam and they don't have it separately.
Also there is a good chance your Smith goggles have a lifetime warranty. I was able to collect years ago on it, but since they didn't make my model anymore they gave me credit if I bought from their web site. Worth a try when the day comes.
snow conditions
@skimachine, smith website said 2 year warranty when I checked? Did they used to do lifetime?
snow report
@kitenski, @skimachine, also it says the warranty is only available in the US and maybe Canada - no European countries are listed when you try and submit a claim.

Did you have luck doing it outside of the US or are you based there?
snow report
Sorry about that. I am in the USA. You should contact them anyway as back when you bought your goggles that stipulation may not have been in place. Did you buy them in the US or Canada by any chance?
latest report
Ah how interesting, I've had this exact problem with this exact model of goggles this month too.
latest report
Just seen this thread after I answered @mgrolf on https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=168900

I was in the same situation earlier this year with the Smith I/OX goggles I'd passed on to my son.

I ended up buying the Bob Smith Foam Cure glue that @Ruswit mentions above and finding some appropriately coloured packing foam. The foam was about 3x thicker than I needed so I cut it down with an electric carving knife. Quality bodge...

Anyway, I gently removed the old foam, stuck the new foam on and then cut it to shape after it set. I then stuck the grey/beige material - the bit that's in contact with your skin - to the foam to finish off. The result wasn't too bad but because I'd applied more glue by hand than any machine would ever do, the material's a bit stiffer than it ideally would be but at least it's breathed a few more years of life into the goggles.

I'd thought about using PVA or Copydex but as they're water-based I wary that it wouldn't hold together given the conditions that you can end up skiing in.
latest report
@skimachine, I did buy them from a US retailer on ebay (not used), but smith have not responded to me once in around 3 weeks of chasing them sadly.

@jd_evans, Do you remember where you got the cure from? Their website is showing no stock, but good to know it works!
snow conditions
The stuff that was recommended to me it this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3348764&highlight=foam#3348764

Worked a treat. Not used the goggles much in the last 5 years bug they're still intact.
latest report
@Ruswit, I found mine here: https://modelrockets.co.uk/ukroc-24/tools-glues-etc/bsi-foam-cure-foam-safe-glue-1oz/

However, they're out of stock as well Sad

EDIT: These guys seem to have it though: https://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4978
ski holidays
Cheers! I already ordered from here a few mins after my message, but seems there are a few UK options.

https://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?keywords=bsi%20&sort=1a&products_id=95588
snow report
a reply from Smith

Quote:

Thank you for contacting us, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

We inform you that the inner foam is not supplied as a spare part.

We invite you to contact the retaoòer where you first purchased the goggles.

They will check the warranty and assist you accordingly.
snow report
@kitenski, ah…my experience entirely.

Scott googles that just drew in moisture between the lenses ALL the time - ‘contact the retailer’
Smith goggles needing new foam - ‘contact the retailer’
Oakley with sad elastic - ‘contact the retailer’
Etc etc

I know that they have a load of ‘just riding along and it broke’ freeloaders contacting them but it is frustrating.
What they mean is …

‘Buy some new goggles and then we make more money, don’t you know how modern capitalism works?’

meanwhile I steadfastly find ways of fixing things….
snow report
@valais2, indeed, I've gone and bought a pair of Panda Optics goggles, lifetime warranty excluding wear and tear.
ski holidays
@kitenski, I have also have noted that if you have at least two pairs of goggles on the go then the lifetime of each seems be disproportionately extended - maybe because they are not getting absolutely continuously hammered.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@valais2, indeed, I've gone and bought a pair of Panda Optics goggles, lifetime warranty excluding wear and tear.

Foam detaching from the frame would presumably be classed as wear and tear, unless the goggles had hardly been used?
snow report
Good lord, what a palaver. Everything has a lifespan.

Buy. New. Goggles.

Job done.
snow conditions
@Dr John, ha I raise you...

Get. The right. glue.

Job done.
ski holidays
mgrolf wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Foam detaching from the frame would presumably be classed as wear and tear, unless the goggles had hardly been used?

Almost certainly. I lifted the below from their website, struggling to think what it actually covers if not the lenses straps or frames...

"This warranty lasts for the lifetime of your goggles! It does not cover general wear and tear inflicted by use, and will not cover any kind of improper usage. Panda Optics has sole discretion to determine manufacturer's defects dependent on claim.

The warranty does not cover scratched/damaged lenses, straps or frames"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy