Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots + agony ... Do I need new ones?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a F aged 46 who returned to skiing 5 years ago after (cough cough) 20 years or so of not skiing. I'm a pretty solid skiier (my instructor recommended I start racing?) but I'm being held back by my boots I think. A couple of years ago I spend the better part of a week getting them fitted in Tignes and they were ok for a couple of years, but I think the combo of me accidentally losing 8ish kgs and them packing down mean they aren't working.

Total agony by day 3 when I try to ski properly/ get my weight forward. Like someone stabbing knives in my ankle/shin crease. Towards the end of the week, I had the boots barely buckled at all, which was fine when we were just pootling down the reds with the kids, but would have been dangerous if I was pushing anything. I ended up K-taping Sidas Gel Pads to my shins, which helped a bit but didn't solve it.

It's not really shin bang, I don't think (as in it's not from riding backseat, etc), the pain is much lower, at the very bottom of my shin near my ankle.

Stats: 169cm, 58ish kgs. Feet are normally a EU41 but very low volume with skinny ankles.

My current boots are Head NEXO LYTE 100 25.5 (293mm). I've already got heel lifts, heel volume pad things, custom insoles, etc. in them.

Do I just get new boots? I'm actually less annoyed about the cost than I am about the time I sunk into fitting the old ones.

I'm in the SE (Sussex). Do I make the trip to Bicester or any recs closer? Also any recs on boot types?

I'll do ski recs on another thread (SL type skis).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’d take the current ones along to CEM and see if he thinks they’re a lost cause. If you’re not skiing again until next winter, probably best to wait until he gets next seasons stock in so you have a full choice if the only answer is to get new boots
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn’t have to be CEM of course if you’ve got a good fitter nearer to you than he is.
I’ve had good experiences with CEM and Profeet in London fwiw
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mrssneak, it might, perhaps , be something like the hinge acis of the boots not matching your ankles.

A chat with CEM if you’re nearby sounds like the thing. Arno’s point about waiting till next year not a bad plan.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, I was hoping to get back out this spring, but alas, family + work have killed that plan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm no CEM, but have you tried removing the heel lift? Sounds like the ankle 'crease' is being pushed up and forward into the boot, maybe removing the lift could allow the heel to move properly backwards when you're pulling your shin/knee forwards.

It seems that in some cases people have been prescribed heel lifts as an attempt to overcome/mitigate poor technique, and if you're still/again taking lessons then your technique may no loner need that assistance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mrssneak, for boot fitting closer to you, Scott at Skiers Lounge in Horsham.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My son got new boots from S4F last Autumn and got sore shins on our Christmas trip. Recently went back and pads have been placed towards the outside of the tongue. Will find out if it has worked next week. If not, CEM says there are further things that can be done/tried. Also suggested as a short term thing (when out in resort) to get some gel pads from a pharmacy. Essentially though, go to a good fitter and don't given up on them just yet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mrssneak, CEM will probably appear on this thread soon. I think he is back from his hard earned holiday ...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mrssneak, there are a couple of things that could be causing issues

firstly a low volume skinny foot/ankle doesn't really match up with the medium volume fit of the nexo, but there is also a reason that boot never remained in our range after a season.... the geometry of the liner tongue just seemed to irritate people exactly where you are getting the problems, IMO because the people who design these things don't always agree with boot fitters, the geometry of the tongue is wrong and there isn't enough cushioning where the tongue goes round the corner from the foot to the leg

i would probably leave the heel lift in place as there will be a reason (or at least it should be) but what we do on this boot when anyone has this issue is cut the stitching all the way down the side of the tongue and insert a layer of cushioning normally 3.2mm poron material before stitching it back up (i even made a template as we were doing so many a couple of years back), most of the time that resolved the issue, but if there is a particularly prominent Anterior tibialis tendon then sometimes it is not enough

hope that helps a little
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:

firstly a low volume skinny foot/ankle doesn't really match up with the medium volume fit of the nexo, but there is also a reason that boot never remained in our range after a season.... the geometry of the liner tongue just seemed to irritate people exactly where you are getting the problems, IMO because the people who design these things don't always agree with boot fitters, the geometry of the tongue is wrong and there isn't enough cushioning where the tongue goes round the corner from the foot to the leg

i would probably leave the heel lift in place as there will be a reason (or at least it should be) but what we do on this boot when anyone has this issue is cut the stitching all the way down the side of the tongue and insert a layer of cushioning normally 3.2mm poron material before stitching it back up (i even made a template as we were doing so many a couple of years back), most of the time that resolved the issue, but if there is a particularly prominent Anterior tibialis tendon then sometimes it is not enough

hope that helps a little

Amazing, thanks CEM. Glad to know it's not just me being a wimp then!!! I'll probably pop out to see you in the autumn and bring these boots, but I'm ok with the idea of getting new ones fitted as well if we don't think they'll work. Anything to avoid the lower shin knives of death Skullie . I do have a pretty prominent anterior tendon when in flexion, so even cutting the tongue may not be enough. When do you get next year's stock in... like October? Is that a good time to come up?

And thanks everyone else for advise, I love this forum!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mrssneak wrote:
CEM wrote:

hope that helps a little

Amazing, thanks CEM. Glad to know it's not just me being a wimp then!!! I'll probably pop out to see you in the autumn and bring these boots, but I'm ok with the idea of getting new ones fitted as well if we don't think they'll work. Anything to avoid the lower shin knives of death Skullie . I do have a pretty prominent anterior tendon when in flexion, so even cutting the tongue may not be enough. When do you get next year's stock in... like October? Is that a good time to come up?

And thanks everyone else for advise, I love this forum!

we get our stock in early, most of it july /august,

with staffing the way it is we stop working on boots we havent supplied normally as we go into august, if i had the manpower we would keep it going all year round, so if you want work on the existing boots get in early
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy