Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French speaking ski village for a year.

Poster: A snowHead
@j b, true about the direct access. I think it was a an American family in Menthon St Bernard and the schools worked out ok
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ster, seems to kill a surprising number of french kids so I wouldn't count on it
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jujujuju, you mention Samoëns, did you like it?

Only my first visit there this year but thought it was an lovely village, not just a ski resort but a very livable place. Snow in Samoëns itself not 100% guaranteed but Grand Massif snow sure with the area above Flaine.

@coldrainsnow has been doing exactly what you're talking about doing for 2 years over from the US. Have a look at this year's Grand Massif thread, he might have some useful advice too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jujujuju, we went to Valloire in Feb and loved it. Rarely heard an English voice, and everyone will speak to you in French (and some struggled when they realised we were English) but we survived easily as non-french speakers - mainly because the locals were all super friendly and accommodating.

It's also a great ski area with the bulk of the skiing above 2000m.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-04-24 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Handy Turnip, yes Valloire is very pleasant in the summer too. There is a primary school but the college is way down in the valley for the oldest child.

les Saisies would be in idea and it better positioned, IMHO.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I second Verbier. I think it ticks all your boxes… and it’s probably why a lot of families who live here are in a similar situation to yours (foreigners doing a year abroad - often staying longer though!).

It’s super safe (kids from age 6 or 7 just walk or bus by themselves). It has 3 schools, one local and 2 international - just choose what you prefer. Skiing is great. And so is biking. Etc.

The only drawback is that it’s not cheap.

If you get in touch with one of the international schools, they can probably give you a lot more info (or even put you in touch with a local family).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jujujuju, just seen this post, I live in La Salle Les Alpes along the Serre Chevalier Valley road.

I could possibly put you in touch with someone who did exactly what you want to do, arrived not knowing anyone with children etc

Kids in the local school is a great way to integrate with other families.

There are buses that run along the valley for the school run, even from La Grave!

You're best suited to live closer to Briancon as family accommodation is more readily available and not as expensive, plus the villages in the inter season do go very very quiet, no bars & restos.

There are really are not too many ex Pat families in Briancon, probably can count them on two hands, if that, you'll hardly see any UK reg cars out of season etc

Even though the resort closed a couple of weeks ago, we're still ski touring, when the weather allows.

And that's often ski-touring in the mornings and then out with the bikes in the afternoon.

And as an aside I've just booked a cabin for two weeks beginning of June, only an hour down the road at Embrun on the shores of the lake down there, Lac Serre Poncon, which ticks so many boxes for what we do, and will be a pleasant change in surroundings and a tad easier/cheaper that our usual end of seasons road trips to Southern Spain.

And to give you an idea of what the cycling here is like...

Road biking Guide Serre Che & Briancon.

EMtb Mountain Bike Guide Serre Che & Briancon.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-04-24 9:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This was another American family who came for a season

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5049331

and because her posts were a bit scattergun, a summary

Quote:

We're just finishing up our Winter in Menthon - - my 2 boys attend the Clos Chevalier Middle School (just below the castle) and start at 8:30 - I've been able to get on the mountain on the mountain by 9:15 (la clusaz).

As others have said, Menthon is really really nice - close enough to Annecy, Skiing (les saisies or Megeve is about an hour or so away - so is Brides les Bains), and Menthon has a back door to the freeway to Geneva (driving toward Thones, but turning left after Alex)

For airport runs, I prefer going "the back way", so that I don't have to deal with any Annecy traffic - - I swear, I found it most frustrating any time I had to drive through - or even go into "town" (Annecy). It's just not made for driving across in a car - you could probably get across by bike, much faster, at times.

It's a lovely place, Annecy - don't get me wrong - - but I think I would have gotten really frustrated if we had decided to live there.

As for skiing - without traffic, you can get from the east side of the lake to La Clusaz in under 30 minutes without traffic - we had hired a locker for the season so our ski day ritual was to wake up early and try to be on the first chair/gondola up - - some days we only skied until 1pm or so, especially in February - - but those morning hours were glorious... Arriving by 8:30-8:45am, we never encountered any traffic at all - even in Feb and very light crowds up top, until mid day - - then it became a bit of a mess.

We almost signed a lease for a house in Sevrier, on the west side of the lake -- that would also have been a big mistake -- for me, getting to the ski slopes from the west side would have added an extra 20 minutes without traffic - or more - ... so if you can find a place east side, or even north east of Annecy le Vieux, like Argonay - - that would work just fine - not pretty or charming, or lake side - - but you'd be very close stiking distance to Annecy/Geneva/La Clusaz, etc...

Sorry if my writing is poor / the thunder and lightning tonight has me a bit rattled..! Hope that all makes sense/helps.

@pam w
Hi Pam - - I have to say, I've been thinking about you a lot - your posts have "spoken" to me - especially your fondness for Les Saisies - - we really like it there - especially because of how well the snow was kept when La Clusaz' snow faltered.

My boys LOVE their little school - (Thank You for asking) - they fit right in and hit the ground running. It will be difficult to leave - their lycee in Spain goes all they way through "terminal" - - so the especially love being among the older kids of the school... lol. Next year my oldest will have graduated and moved on to the college in Thones (if we return)... but we have had such a marvelous time, and the people have been so kind -- I could easily see us coming back.. (so I'm going to keep my landlord's info a secret for the moment!!! Little Angel )

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
Briancon covers quite a few of those attributes. Maybe more town like than villagey but very much small town friendly vibe. Stayed there for a season about 20 odd years ago and got friendly with a franco-american couple though their children were younger than yours.

Thanks I will look into Briancon- you would do Briancon over the smaller villages nearby?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="viv"]

Thanks I do like Chamonix and have never been to Serve Chevalier. I think its easier to be in France although I can work in Switzerland too, but harder for my husband. I rather in be in a mountain village than the valley... if we decided to stay, the valley may be fine but for a year or two, the mountain is where we want to be.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andmelffion wrote:
Even for a quick ski after school.

Schools in France don’t generally finish their day until 4.30 which would make after school skiing a bit more tricky, some schools do have a half day on a Wednesday so you may want to investigate this in your preferred areas.

Good luck.

thanks for the reminder, I see some schools are off on Wednesdays all together. If the boys are in school all day, then I can ski and go for a nice run in the mountains if we are close...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
viv wrote:
Another post-school option could be evening ski touring. Several resorts in Austria open up a slope or two once or twice a week, and it's worth checking if your preferred locations in France or Switzerland do similar

that's a great idea, I love the idea of a nice tour and ski down before bed:)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Onnem wrote:
I have been in almost all larger and many smaller resorts in all the Alps (from east (Schladming AU to southwest Briancon).

Your best bet, based on the requirements you mention: Briancon.
- Excellent ski area on your doorstep (Serre Chevalier).
- Very nice medieval town with lots of history, forts, restaurants, and lively 12 months per year.
- Excellent climate with lots of snow AND much more (40% ?) more sun than northern resorts. Still very snowsure.
- Attractive cost-quality ratio.
- And lots of choice to find a longer stay accommodation.
- Plus the nirvana in summer for any outdoors and adrenaline sports enthusiast.

Would you stay in Briancon over any of the smaller villages? I have never been, would you look for a place in old town or just anywhere? how close to slopes are you in Briancon, walk? bike? bus? thx!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
Serre Chevalier is what immediately came to mind when reading your question. So I will go along with all the Briancon suggestions. Has the downhill, back country, xc and biathlon all covered for you. And retains a more french feel than some of the other ski resorts, but enough english that your husband won't be totally lost.

thx for the suggestion.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
petedavoski wrote:
everything on your list in Guillestre , even three ex yank teachers

I'll have to look into Guillestre. I have not heard of it. thx!
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@jujujuju, there is a local ski club in Briancon, and Wednesday is a day off in winter, so there will be plenty of ski time, along with two weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks in February and 2 weeks in April as holidays.

thx for the info. The ski team looks competitive which is fine for my youngest a he loves to race and does well. My older two have been doing big mountain team and not as much into racing gates, they can just free ski. yes lots of 2 weeks off... that adds up fast. Would you stay in Briancon proper or the smaller villages? old town of Briancon or just anywher? Are lifts or gondola easily accessible?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@jujujuju, if ski "team" is important, you might want to check eligibility. The clubs that friends and family have been n have been extremely competitive, so no guarantee of just arriving and joining.

On the other hand, the niece and nephew do something called, iirc, Freeski in Chamonix. Which is pretty what it says on the tin, lots of off piste, etc.

yes that sounds amazing.. my two older kids do Big Mountain team right now and its lots of steep harder terrain and off piste stuff, my youngest is a pretty good little gate racer and young enough that I think he would at least stand a chance of making it. Wonder if other places have that.
snow conditions
Kenzie wrote:
@jujujuju,
Try asking Steve Angus here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=9920
He has school age kids in Val d'Isere - he only posts once a month out of the ski season.
I don't know if it is what you are thinking of, but Apex 2100, in Tignes?

thx I'll ask Steve! and I'll look into Tignes...
snow conditions
Pasigal wrote:
@jujujuju, A few points to consider: We are also American, moved to Paris with our 4- and 6-year-olds 12 years ago...and never left. My wife was bilingual. We threw them in the local public schools and they were speaking French within a few months, my son faster than my daughter, who didn't say anything, really, in either language for 6 months.

However, the French public schools can be an uncompromising environment. Just be careful that you are not expecting too much, or expecting touchy-feely hand holding. You may get it, you may not...same with a sympathetic proviseur/directeur/ice (principal). The one in our kids' primary school was a real prick.

I don't know what level French they are at, but French kids learn to read a year later than Americans, typically it happens at age 6. But if they don't learn reading in French as well as the very structured handwriting and pronounciation, it could be a little rough for them. Our daughter had a particularly harsh teacher in grand section (end of maternelle), while our son had a very patient (and bilingual) teacher in CP (the first "real" school grade). On the plus side, our son could read English when we moved here so that gave him a leg up on his classmates.

If you can swing two years I would highly recommend it. If you can stick it out for 5 you can get citizenship. Worst case, if your kids are miserable and the local public school sucks, maybe find a bilingual private school. It probably won't get better...

I see you have dual EU citizenship, which will be a huge help.

One more edit: We have an old farmhouse in Nancy sur Cluses across the A40 from the Grand Massif (the ski station above Samoens) that we are renovating, so we know the Giffre Valley quite well. Don't discount Samoens, although it is not cheap. The Giffre is amazing in summer, and Grand Massif is a pretty complete domaine, especially having Flaine at high altitude. You could also consider Les Carroz on the other side; it's a nice village and smaller than Samoens and Briancon. Samoens itself as you know is flat, and very walkable, and has everything you need, including a big grocery story. Cluses is just over the col de Chatillon and it also has everything you could ever need.

thank you for all that info. I too was thrown into French school as a kid and spent 8 years in school in Belgium. I do remember that there is not much hand holding and what a shame that they are not usually more accommodating. I think 2 of my kids will be fine as they do quite well in French school- I have a feeling my middle kid will need some extra help so we will have to see about that. I will relook into Samoens and Carroz. I loved the beauty of Samoens village.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
@Pasigal, personally I'd say putting non-French kids in a French public school could be considered as child abuse by parents.

Peter Gumbel covered the subject quite well: https://www.amazon.fr/ach%C3%A8ve-bien-%C3%A9coliers-Peter-Gumbel/dp/2246759315?tag=amz07b-21

and things have got worse since Gumbel's book

Thanks. I was thrown into French public school as a kid and seemed to survive and learn a lot along the way but good points to think about. Some kids will be fine and some will struggle for sure.
latest report
@davidof, good points. and that is some pretty impressive skiing!
snow report
@davidof, thanks yes the lycée part is good for me to think of. Next year they would still all be in CE2, CM1, CM2 which would be ok but if we stay longer then we would have to think about that. Thanks for the heads up on local schools too. Its never easy to navigate. I was trying to think of more expat friendly villages since I imagine there would be more expat kids in the local schools, but maybe not. I don't really know how to get the feel of the school but I hope to narrow it down and then get in contact with the schools and see.
snow conditions
@j b, thx.. gondola access would be ok, as long as its easy to get to the gondola. I'll look into it all. thx for all the info.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, haha the cursive, hahah. Two of my kids are fine with all that but my middle child does struggle with writing. Verbier and the international school all sounds lovely and very expensive for us. I really rather try the local schools first especially if just for a year or two. I could def live near Verbier and do the local schools as they do have a lot of expats in their local schools with international school available if need be. Its just a bit more expensive than other ski areas.
ski holidays
@j b, yes I like Annecy, was there last year for a week and if we planned one living abroad for a long time, that may be a great place but I really would like a mountain village if possible. I want to be close to skiing and trail running and wake up the mountains around me. Quick access for even a quick ski for me while kids are in school, walkable. I can dream Smile
snow report
@davidof, thanks I will look into that.
snow report
@Handy Turnip, I do not know Valloire and will add that to my list Smile thx for the info.
snow conditions
@davidof, I'll add Les Saisies to my list to investigate. I have never been.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, oh wow I love this. We don't need expats around, just a town that is friendly ish to them and my husband is super active and athletic and I think could meet plenty of people since so many people are like minded living in mountain towns about playing outside.
I would love the info if you have it and chat with someone who has done the same. La Salle les Alpes- close to ski access? Would recommend Briancon or another smaller village? We don't need a ton of life as we don't do much with 3 kids but be outside as much as possible but I imagine completely deserted would be quite isolating. thx for all the info and links. I will look into those!
snow conditions
@davidof, thanks I'll contact her!
snow conditions
jujujuju wrote:
@j b, thx.. gondola access would be ok, as long as its easy to get to the gondola. I'll look into it all. thx for all the info.

You've been busy this evening reading the options!

Just filling in on St Gervais, it is a large village/small town of approaching 6000 permanent inhabitants plus a lot more like us with holiday apartments. I am probably biased, but it is one of the more attractive bases from which to ski: an architecturally congenial town with decent restaurants, bars and delicatessens plus a couple of very small supermarkets (it is only 15 minutes by car to the much larger supermarket in the valley, which I guess is what the locals mostly use). From the market square it is 10 minutes walk to the gondola (that is in ski boots and carrying skis, less with ordinary shoes, and in season there is a free bus). There is 270 km skiing in the local area, and another 170 km on the lift pass easily accessible; also 70 km in Les Houches on the other side of the valley with a direct connection but requiring either day passes or getting the Mont Blanc Unlimited season pass which then gives you all the Chamonix valley ski areas as well including famous off-piste like the Vallee Blanche (you would need a car to access those though, public transport doesn't really work for it). I think I am right in saying there is a primary school in the town, but for secondary the kids need to travel down to the valley below (there is a bus, and by next autumn there will be a gondola link) - you might want to contact @devilabit who is a local for better info. on that. It is easily accessible, just over an hour driving from Geneva and with train, bus and (in ski season) minibus connections.

Or you could simply look at Chamonix, but the way the skiing is distributed along the valley you would most likely end up having to use some sort of transport to get to a ski lift.

Of the other places mentioned that I know, Annecy (and nearby Menthon St Bernard) is a lovely old town at the end of a lake - but completely rammed with tourists in the summer. And a drive to any skiing. Briancon has a spectacular historic old walled town but that bit it isn't close to the gondola station and the rest - including the area with the lift to the skiing - seemed to me a somewhat tired industrial town; the villages along the valley with the other lifts up are more attractive but are likely to be dead out of season. @Weathercam or @Hells Bells can give local advice. The high (and snow-sure) resorts such as TIgnes will be very seasonal which won't suit a family with children needing school.

Good luck - and feel free to ask questions, there are people here with good knowledge of almost everywhere.
ski holidays
jujujuju wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@jujujuju,
Try asking Steve Angus here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=9920
He has school age kids in Val d'Isere - he only posts once a month out of the ski season.
I don't know if it is what you are thinking of, but Apex 2100, in Tignes?

thx I'll ask Steve! and I'll look into Tignes...

Think I saw in passing that your other half is not as fluent in French as the rest of the family. Tignes or Val D'Isere would suit as plenty of Brit expats in both. In Tignes look at le Lac, as that is where local school & Apex2100 school are.
Both Tignes & Vd'I have plenty of summer sporting activities, too.
snow report
Quote:

les Saisies would be in idea and it better positioned, IMHO.

I don't think there's a school in Les Saisies. Probably Hauteluce. Which is quite low - the run down to Hauteluce (and therefore the chair back up) is not always open. And it's very, very, small and dead (though frightfully picturesque!). Older kids go to Albertville I think.

Hauteluce is always pretty dead. Les Saisies is dead outside the summer and winter holiday seasons (reportedly fewer than 100 permanent population!) Praz sur Arly might be a better bet, on the main Arly Valley road. And also on that road, Combloux which is in the Evasion Mont Blanc ski area and a "proper" town with people who live there all year round and has the most fabulous views of Mont Blanc. But it's a proper town because it's in the valley, and being in the valley will not have resort level snow all season.

snow conditions
That was Combloux. Which is a proper little town. This is Hauteluce, which isn't. But you can drive a few miles up the valley to the telecabine up to the Col du Joly, Les Contamines (a separate ski area to the Espace Diamant)

It has a school for littlies.
ski holidays
These are "publicity shots" from Google Images. A lot of the time neither place looks quite that snowy..... though both are in beautiful mountain surroundings and both the Hauteluce and Arly valleys are stunning all year round.
ski holidays
What about Le Châble? It’s a small village but with plenty of English speaking, seasonaires and expats for company in addition to locals. It’s at 800m but the lift whisks you up to Verbier (Ruinettes) or top of Bruson in less than 20 minutes. Perfect for a lap with the kids after school or an evening ski tour. There is a school / supermarket / restaurants / bars etc and the gondola to Verbier is now designated public transport so open from 5am until midnight if you want more action. Skiing runs from Nov to end April and is unbeatable for strong, ambitious riders. Annual lift pass also covers free days in Chamonix, Portes du Soleil etc as well as Summer lift access to the excellent biking, hiking. It’s busy in Summer with plenty of events like the famous Classical Music Festival, which has loads of stuff for kids. And there’s a (challenging) golf course if that’s your gig!
latest report
@j b, you really wouldn't want to stay in the old town, majestic and historic as it is, especially with three kids!

Main town Briancon is tiny, I know so-called villages back in the UK that are larger, and most families I know live in the various named areas that merge into it, such as Font Christianne, Villar Saint Pancras, Saint Chaffrey* and a whole load of others.

* look at that on Google Maps and will give you an idea, many more locals live there year round.

It's in these areas where you get far more people living throughout the year (close to high-schools) etc in family houses that are more economic (cheaper to rent / buy) than a chalet in one of the ski villages, as they command top $

At the end of the day living here, you'll need a car, so proximity to lifts is not an issue.

@jujujuju, is there any way you could travel out and look at places before committing which is what I know various people have done, me included and KenX on here.

I'll ping my mate and ask him if he wouldn't mind a chat with you, I know out of his kids one fitted in really well whereas another found it harder, which is to be expected I would have thought?

Lawrence the Dad was a top rugby player/referee and slotted into Briancon Rugby club and quickly became a key member of the Club Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Snow in Samoëns itself not 100% guaranteed

That is an understatement.
snow report
@jujujuju, You already have lots to think about, my suggestion would be to take a look at Bozel-a biggish village situated below Courchevel (so basically the whole of the 3 Valleys). According to wikipedia the population is 1900 or so though that may include the surrounding hamlets too. The downside is that, at 890m it isn't ski in ski out. But it has a bus service (says it takes 6 mins) to Courchevel Le Praz where the closest skiing starts. You also have easy access to Champagny en Vanoise (part of the Paradis Ski area) and Pralognan en Vanoise, which is stunning.

Bozel comes into its own in the summer I think, with a big swimming and boating lake slap bang in the middle of the village. It is home to a lot of ski industry workers and a reasonable number of those will be ex pat english speakers. If we didn't have a place up the mountain, this would have been my favourite alternative. https://en.valleedebozel.com
snow conditions
@Perty, in that case why not also look at Brides les Bains with a lift into the three valleys but a pleasant village (at least in the summer) ?

@Origen, Beaufort may be a better bet than les Saisies given what you say. Good cycling, excellent ski touring - through to early June on the Col de la Roselend, some cross country (well lots if you take the Saisies pass) and a small ski area plus the Espace Diamant is on your doorstep at Bisanne. Plus there is a college as well as a Primary school. Just remote enough - about 20 minutes into Albertville and beyond to civilisation. In fact I think we've cracked it, Beaufort it is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy